Final report now available
We are pleased to announce that the final report is now available to download from the RCN Foundation web site. We consider this scoping work to address an important gap in understanding about the registered nursing workforce in UK care homes. Specifically we report on:
- the characteristics of the registered nursing workforce in care homes;
- the extent to which education prepares registered nurses for a role in care home environments;
- the continuing professional development needs of registered nursing staff in care homes;
- opportunities (current or planned) to support the career aspirations of this nursing workforce;
- gaps in knowledge and understanding about this important proportion of the nursing workforce; and
- priorities for future research and development projects.
While we recognise that a large proportion of care is provided by care assistants in care homes, this group of staff are not the focus for this work. However, we do make reference to the ways in which registered nurses work with this important group of staff.
The recruitment and retention of the registered nursing workforce in care homes is of high priority and concern. We hope the report findings provide a useful platform for stakeholders in the sector - including commissioners, providers, care home managers, care home nurses, educators and researchers – to start a conversation and consider what needs to happen next.